Monday 17 February 2014

Crispy Sweet Corn & Water chestnut

 

 

Indian Water chestnut or  Water Caltrop

 




 I always used to wonder what is this black in color ( charcoal-looking), shapeless fruit with a white-fleshy- meaty- thing inside which vendors were selling on the street. Which is quite an eye sight, to see them cut open to expose the white part and kept for selling. It didn't look either like a fruit or like a vegetable to me in the first place. I was curious, my curiousness had kept on  bothering me for some time.

One day I have decided to go up to the vendor and ask him, he said --"siṅghāṛā" ( सिंघाड़ा- in Hindi). He has in fact shocked me by telling that it was water chestnut.

Water chestnut ???!!!

Oh, No. This can't be water chestnut. I didn't want believe him in the first place.To be frank with you I had never seen water chestnut like that in my whole life. I have seen them only peeled , canned  that we get it in the grocery shops or super markets. I have wanted to try that by myself, I have bought some  home and tried it. I found it mild in sweet taste and a slight coconut flavor (coconut flavor?-this can be opinionated!!!)




Water chestnut




Water chestnut Cut into half

 

 

Trapa Natans (Botanical Name):

What is this fruity-vegetable looking thing??? Well, I have managed to find some information about Indian Water Chestnuts. and have thought of sharing it with you all. They are aquatic plant grown in ponds and marshy places. These seasonal vegetable is grown in India, China, Bangladesh, Srilanka, Indonesia, Thailand, Taiwan and Australia. 

More than 2/3 rd of the plant is submerged in the water. The leaves float on the surface giving a mat like appearance! The leaves are swollen and contain air which basically help the plant to afloat. The plant fixes the fruit to the muddy bottom. These lotus looking plants are well grown in temperate climate.



Water lilly
 

The Fruit--the flower open above the water and after polination they submerge themselves, and develops fruit. The fruit is always found under the water when it is mature and it is harvested.

Indian water chestnuts are commercially grown in the state of Jammu & Kashmir. After monsoon ponds collect water and is considered as the ideal time for planting.

Indian Water Chestnuts are different from Chinese (fruits develop from the root) or European Water chestnuts in their flavor,color and texture  and they are from different plant.


Health & Water Chestnuts:

Water chestnuts are really good for health- rich source of antioxidants and Vitamin B6.
A 100 gm of water  chestnut contains 48 gm of water, 730 Calories, 468 gm of Potassium, 32.1 gm of Carbohydrate.




Crispy Sweet corn & Water chestnut



Cooking with Water chestnuts:

I was clueless for some time, as I did not know what to make with water chestnut--a salad, a main course, and how to make Indian or Chinese style? Hey, hold on a minute? I just wanted to scan through my fridge first before I could go ahead and try something interesting? Yeah!!! There it is!!! I got some  frozen sweet corn. Sweet corn and water chestnut- fair enough!!! Since I am completely  obsessed with Chinese food, I have decided to try something the real Chinese way--The crispy sweet corn and water chestnut.


I have made the sauce first, kind of an Indo-Chinese style ( I should say my own variety). I wanted to make the sauce light at the same time flavorful- make sure that the sauce don't over power the main ingredients...












Ingredients for the sauce:

For Four Servings.

1 Tsp Oil
1 Small onion (Chopped).
1 Tsp Ginger (chopped).
1 Tsp Garlic (chopped)
100 gm Dried red chilli.
1 Tsp Chilli sauce.
1 Tbsp Hoisin sauce.
1/2   Tsp Rice vinegar.
2 Tbsp Low sodium soy sauce.
1/2 Tsp sesame paste. 
1 Tbsp Honey.

Soak the dried red chilli over night. Discard water and  grind to smooth paste and keep aside.


In a skillet heat oil, add ginger and garlic, and cook until you get nice golden-brown color. At this point add onion and cook till onion becomes soft. Add chilli paste  and cook until the oil starts to separate. Add rest of the ingredients now (except honey) and cook for about a two minutes. Add honey towards the end keeping the desired sweetness in mind. Remove from fire and reserve for cooking.







For Crispy Sweet corn and Water chestnut:

1 Tbsp Oil.
1 1/2 Cup Sweet corn.
1/2 Water chest nut (sliced).


In a skillet, heat oil, when the oil starts to smoke add sweet corn and stir-fry for about a minute over a high heat until it becomes crisp. Add chestnut and continue to stir-fry for a minute ( remember to go fast as the vegetable should cooked crispy, and  at the same time not burning them from the sides). Add sauce and give a nice mix. Cook to dry. Serve hot!!!

This can be served as a nice appetizer for your lunch or dinner. Bon Appetite!!!





Enjoy, HAPPY COOKING!!!








No comments:

Post a Comment